The Intro

One day, a Japanese expat in my office was miserable because his computer's internet connection got into trouble. An IT technician was called. As the menus and everything on his computer were in Japanese, I helped the technician to find the menus, tabs, icons, etc., he needed to solve the problem. Done.

Only a few minutes later this Japanese expat called me again. He sounded upset. I checked his computer myself. Clicked "yahoo.com". No problem.

"No, no! My nootsu ノーツstill doesn't appear!"

"What's nootsu?" I asked.

"Nootsu ! Nootsu ! You don't know nootsu ? Oh, nootsu !"

I showed him the Notepad from Window's accessories because the word nootsu  itself actually means "notes". I thought that was what he meant.

"There, nothing's wrong," I said.

"Oh, no! I mean, nootsu !" He already turned from frantic to furious.

Later on I learned that nootsu is the name for The Company's webmail or sort of. His problem was that he couldn't access to his email. Further later on I learned also that many expats in my office doesn't care whether Yahoo, Google, etc., is working or not. In fact when they complain that their internet connection is not working, they mean that their nootsu doesn't appear properly on their screen.

No comments: