I've read this verse since I was a kid but never experienced (the hard way) how deep and how true was Jesus' philosophy, until just recently. It was an experience that taught me:
- Before you talk about your values, make sure first to whom you are talking. You will never get to a point if the other party doesn't carry the same value.
- If you insist, they may trample your value under your feet. When that happens, Jesus would say, "I told you."
- But the stupidest thing you can do is to tell the dog that he is a dog and the pig that she is a pig.
- And then you would be out of your mind if you get mad because the pig sniffs back at you while you try to explain what a pearl is.
- Before the dog tears you to pieces, you'd better back off immediately. You still can be friends with a dog, can't you? True, dog is man's best friend. But, a smart man doesn't give what is sacred to a dog.
Jakarta, September 19th 2012
when it was too late to back off