I'm Not Superstitious, But.

I grew up being taught to believe in God and only God. That includes not believing in superstitions. It's God, Dad often said, that brings you luck. No other. Okay, I believed in God plus Dad.

I was like eight at that time. I had a red dress. It wasn't solely red. It had some white parts. It was a one piece dress. At first I thought it was just a coincidence. But, it happened again, and again. Everytime I wore that dress, Dad would be mad at me, and I would cry. Then I would pull up my skirt and wipe my nose with it. It happened so often that the dress seemed to smell bad even though it had been washed already.

I admit that although I looked cute, I was naughty. Dad had many reasons to be mad at me besides he himself being a strict man. But, what I couldn't comprehend was why do I tend to be nasty everytime I'm wearing that dress?

Till this moment I still can picture in my mind the time I pulled our chess of draws. The lower part was to put my clothes. I had just taken a shower and wanted to change my clothe. I saw that red dress on top. I hesitated. But the other side of me reminded myself not to be superstitious. I thought for awhile. Had I been naughty?

No, not at all, I concluded. Don't be superstitious! I told myself once again.

So, I pulled out that red dress and wore it on. It was piano practice time, so obediently, sweetly, I went to the piano and practiced my lessons.

Suddenly, out of the blue, Dad scolded me. I was so shocked, because I didn't think it would be an issue. What issue, I don't remember at all. Still sitting by the piano, I cried, pulled up my skirt, and rubbed my nose. Since then, I never ever wanted to put on that red dress again.

That red dress laid idle for weeks, maybe months, inside the drawer. One morning, I remember it was a holiday, Mom tidied and cleared up the room. She took all my clothes out from the drawer. Suddenly she said to me who was playing,

"Uggghhh! This dress smells! How come?! Do you mind if I give it away to Bibi (our maid)?"

"Yes, please!!"

No comments: